Continuing our series on San Jose State University hoops, here’s an update on our earlier article “Is SJSU’s Season And Recruiting Class Do-Or-Die?” The highlighted and italicized portions below are the status changes in Spartan Coach Jean Prioleau’s 2020 recruiting targets. Special thanks to Verbal Commits for most of the following recruiting information.
- 2020 point guard Madit Lueth 6-foot-2 attending a Kentucky high school, out of Canada and the Sudan (offers also from UC Riverside, Long Beach State, UC Davis and South Dakota)
- 2020 sophomore point guard Dom London 6-foot Harcum College, PA (has 11 other offers) not listed as an SJSU target by Verbal Commits but is in this article) Committed to Florida Gulf Coast on August 6.
- 2020 shooting guard Alec Oglesby 6-foot-5 Georgia, with an official visit to SJSU on September 5-7, (offers also from UC Riverside, DePaul, Wisconsin Milwaukee visited September 12-14, South Florida, North Florida, Yale, Cleveland State, Air Force) Committed to Cleveland State on September 1.
- 2020 shooting guard Sebastian Mendoza 6-foot-4 Hillcrest High, AZ (out of Riverside, CA), took official visit to SJSU on August 30 (offers also from Tulane, UC Riverside, Cal Poly). Mendoza committed to SJSU on September 4. Here is some workout video.
- 2020 shooting guard Dominique Clifford 6-foot-4 attends a charter school in Colorado, 10 official offers, current preferences are Wyoming, Colorado State and Colorado. Verbally committed to Colorado on July 20.
- 2020 shooting guard Javonte Johnson 6-foot-5 Colorado Springs, CO high school, seven official offers. Eric Bossi recently wrote: “Why Johnson isn’t being recruited more heavily on the West Coast and in the Midwest is a bit of a mystery. He’s a long and lanky wing with some pop in his legs, a more than passable jump shot and he finds ways to put the ball in the hoop. He’s got some filling out to do but has plenty of natural ability. Recruitment: Visited New Mexico officially in June while Cal-State Fullerton, Denver, Loyola Marymount, Montana, Northern Colorado and San Jose State have offered.” Utah Valley is a new offer.
- 2020 freshman shooting guard Jacob Tracey 6-foot-4 Daytona State College, FL (offers also from Fresno State, East Carolina, Bryant, Buffalo and Nevada) Illinois State is a new offer.
- 2020 sophomore shooting guard Vincent Cole 6-foot-6 USC Salkehatchie, out of South Carolina (offers also from Buffalo, Akron and St. John’s) Committed to St. John’s on July 30.
- 2020 power forward Osayi Osifo 6-foot-8 out of Texas, attending Eastern Florida State College, 10 official offers of the low major variety. Committed to Florida on September 19.
- 2020 center Hugo Clarkin 6-foot-10, 200 out of the UK, playing in So Cal at JSerra High, also has an offer from Hawaii. Committed to SJSU on July 15. Here’s a very brief video. Here’s a September 2017 feature.
- 2020 center Jhaylon Martinez 6-foot-11 out of Vanden High in Fairfield but now attending a Las Vegas high school. Committed to UNLV on April 3.
- 2020 center Bradley Ezewiro 6-foot-8 out of Long Beach area but playing at a Virginia prep academy, possesses high major offers. SJSU is no longer listed on Verbal Commits as offering.
Both prepsters Sebastian Mendoza and the lefty Hugo Clarkin will need time in order to make an impact on the court for the Spartans. The former has excellent size for the backcourt but Clarkin will need to add 30 or so pounds before having a college-ready body.
Landing Javonte Johnson would be a blessing but edging out fellow Mountain West Conference member New Mexico or some of the other suitors will be a near Sisyphean effort.
Right now, no immediate help is on its way to SJSU and one scholarship remains undistributed.